The Buenos Aires Provincial Youth Leaders Program offers 15 to 17 year-old high school students the knowledge and skills to improve their communities. Nine Argentine high school students and one adult mentor will be selected to participate in a three-week exchange in the United States. The program focuses on social impact, innovation, entrepreneurship, and activities that foster creativity and problem solving.
Participants will develop the following skills:
- A better understanding of the elements of entrepreneurship and its social impact as practiced in the United States.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, entrepreneurial, and leadership skills.
- Community service project ideas and a course of action to bring projects to fruition.
- A greater understanding of and appreciation for diversity and international relationships.
- Online pre-departure orientation 10 weeks prior to travel;
- Exchange program in the United States and a de-brief. Participants and a mentor will travel to Washington DC, and Johnson City, Tennessee (host family stays). Participants will visit NGOs, educational institutions, businesses, and government organizations.
The Youth Leaders will return to Argentina to design and lead community service projects and to train their fellow high school students.
- Applicants must be between 15 and 17 years old on September 1, 2019
- Currently attending high school in Buenos Aires province
- Be an Argentine citizen (those with U.S. dual citizenship will not be considered)
- Be a resident of Buenos Aires province
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 8 (eight)
- Intermediate level of English
- Demonstrate leadership skills and social commitment at school and in community
Priority will be given to:
- Students of public or subsidized private schools
- Candidates who have never traveled to the United States with little international travel experience
The application is free of charge and the U.S. Embassy in Argentina will cover the costs of all travel, lodging, meals, administrative expenses, visa fees, health insurance, educational materials, some cultural activities, and a stipend for some personal expenses. Participants are responsible for personal expenses such as passport fees or authorizations to travel abroad, among others.
- Students who meet the requirements and are interested in applying for this program must complete and submit the application form before April 21.
- Only pre-selected candidates in the first phase will be invited to participate in a phone interview in English with U.S. Embassy staff during the first weeks of May.
- The official announcement of selected participants will be in late May.
Exchange dates are September 6 to September 28, returning to Argentina on September 29.