Location: National Congress and Avenida 9 de Julio, Buenos Aires
Event: A demonstration is underway in the downtown area of Buenos Aires, near the National Congress. We are informed that the demonstration is related to the proposed agreement between the Government of Argentina and the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Demonstrations may continue throughout the evening and into the week ahead as the Argentine Congress debates the proposed agreement.
U.S. citizens should practice vigilance and remember that demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid demonstrations, and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area.
- Carry a photocopy of your U.S. passport or other valid identification.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina
Phone number: +54 11 5777 4533
Email Address: BuenosAires-ACS@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Argentina Country Specific Information Argentina International Travel Information (state.gov)
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us onFacebook and Twitter