Demonstration and General Strike Alert – U. S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina
(June 21, 2018)
Locations: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following neighborhoods in Buenos Aires, Argentina:
- June 22: Palermo
- June 25: Plaza de Mayo/Casa Rosada
- A demonstration is expected to take place on June 22 beginning at 4 p.m. near the U.S. Embassy. The group intends to protest U.S. immigration policy.
- A general labor strike is expected to take place on June 25, with demonstrations possible near Plaza de Mayo/Casa Rosada. It is possible that major routes into the Federal Capital will be blocked. You should expect public transportation to be unavailable, business closures, and extensive traffic disruptions in the area.
The U.S. Embassy reminds that even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to become confrontational and violent without warning.
Standard Recommended Actions:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Keep a low profile
- S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina
(54-11) 5777-4354 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444