Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires (December 29, 2021)
Location: Argentina, countrywide
Event: The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Argentina due to COVID-19, indicating a high level of COVID-19 in the country. The Department of State has also issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory recommending that prospective travelers reconsider travel to Argentina at this time.
Although Argentina reopened its borders to vaccinated tourists on November 1, 2021, a recent rise in the number of COVID-19 cases has impacted visitors and disrupted travel plans. Visitors who test positive for COVID-19 and those who may not test positive, but who are deemed to be a close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case, may be required to isolate at designated hotels or hospitals as directed by local health officials. Argentina currently requires isolation for a period of 10 days after testing positive for COVID-19. Close contacts of confirmed cases also must isolate for a period of 10 days, with a COVID-19 test conducted on day seven to ascertain if infected with the COVID-19 virus. The costs associated with lodging and other expenses during the isolation period are the responsibility of the traveler and may involve peak season lodging rates and other expenses. Please note that the determination of close contact is made by local health officials and may include extended family members and other individuals within a tour group or traveling party.
Actions to Take:
- Reconsider travel.
- Review travel and/or health insurance to ascertain the level of coverage for COVID-19 hospitalization or isolation expenses.
- Review tour operator cancellation and reimbursement policies.
- U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina
Phone number: +54 11 5777 4533
- Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Argentina Country Specific Information COVID-19 Information – U.S. Embassy in Argentina (usembassy.gov)
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter