An official website of the United States government

Lost Green Card

To board a flight for the United States, every U.S. Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) must present at the time of checking in, the passenger’s valid “green card” or other documentation from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) demonstrating that the passenger is presently an LPR of the United States.

If your green card has been lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated, you can apply for a “boarding foil” in order to board a flight to the U.S. For further information about the application process, please click

here (PDF 1263KB)


  • Can the I-131A fee paid to USCIS be refunded?  An I-131A fee will only be refunded in the event of U.S. government error.  USCIS will not process a refund if an applicant later determines that a LPR boarding foil was unnecessary.  Please contact the relevant USCIS Field Office for more information.
  • What evidence can LPRs present at an airport, rather than applying for a boarding foil?  To enter the U.S., a LPR may present at least one of the following items in place of a boarding foil:
  1. An expired Permanent Resident Card with a 10-year expiration date, or
  1. A valid Permanent Resident Card (with a two-year validity), and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that status is extended, or
  1. Orders from the U.S. government (civilian or military) showing that time outside the U.S. was on official government business.  These individuals should consult their air carrier prior to completion of an I-131A and payment of the fee.
  • Where can I obtain my A number or find out more information?  Please direct your inquiries to the nearest USCIS field office location.