If your valid U.S. passport has been stolen and you have immediate travel plans, the American Citizen Services unit may be able to issue you an emergency passport. You will need to bring a copy of the police report and your airline tickets. If you require a replacement for a lost passport, you must make an appointment.
Send us an email at BuenosAires-ACS@state.gov with a copy of your itinerary. Please note that failure to renew a previously lost or stolen passport in a timely manner prior to your travel is not an emergency service, and you will need an appointment to receive a new passport.
You must complete and print all necessary passport forms using the Passport Wizard and bring them to your appointment or you will have to schedule another appointment.
What to Bring to Your Appointment
- Completed form DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport,
- Completed form DS-64 Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport,
- Photo identification, if available (i.e. valid driver’s license or military ID) + copy,
- Proof of citizenship, if available (i.e. copy of passport, U.S. birth certificate or Naturalization Certificate) + copy,
- One (1) 5 cm x 5 cm passport photograph,
- Police report of the loss or theft + copy,
- Passport Fee: Adults (age 16 and over) USD 165; minors (age 15 and under) USD 135 (or equivalent in Argentine pesos) to be paid at the Consular section.
- DHL Waybill (if not requesting an emergency passport)
Applicants Age 16 and 17
If you have your own identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport by yourself. However, we strongly recommend that at least one parent accompany you to show parental awareness.
Examples of Parental Awareness:
- A parent appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport
- A signed statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID).
If you do not have a current ID, you must show at least one parent knows that you are applying for a passport.
Your passport application may be denied if we have received written objection from one of your parents or legal guardians.
Emergency passports are not issued on weekends or holidays. They are generally ready same-day, at 3:00 pm. However, unforeseen delays can happen. If you must reschedule your flight because of a lost or stolen passport, please wait to make your new reservations until after your visit to the Embassy.