An official website of the United States government

Passport Services
Apply for or renew a U.S. Passport

Section 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) requires all U.S citizens to use their U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States. Even if you are a dual Argentine/U.S citizen you may not enter/leave the U.S. on an Argentine/foreign passport. When returning to Argentina, all dual nationals should enter Argentina on their Argentine passport.


Passport services require an appointment. Please make sure you schedule your appointment for the correct type of service. Failure to do so will result in appointment cancellation and you will be asked to reschedule under the applicable category.

Are you a U.S. Citizen who needs a passport?

Visit “What Passport Services do you need to find the form you need and begin the process of completing and submitting your passport application. If you are unsure which form you need, the Passport Wizard can guide you to the correct form.

Passport services are not available on weekends or on Argentina or U.S. holidays.

Special Notice for Parents

Special notice for parents of children born in Argentina with a claim to U.S. citizenship and other U.S. citizens who may be dual nationals:

Children born in Argentina to U.S. citizen parents, except those in diplomatic or official status, acquire Argentine citizenship at birth as well as a possible claim to U.S. citizenship. They are dual nationals, and are required by Argentine Immigration authorities to use Argentine passports to leave Argentina.

In addition, all U.S. citizens are required by law to present a valid U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States (Section 215b of the Immigration and Nationality Act).

Parent(s) permission to travel out of Argentina with the other parent

A parent or guardian traveling alone with a child who resides in Argentina must present to Argentine authorities a legalized permission letter in Spanish (Autorización de Viaje) from the non-accompanying parent upon departure from Argentina.  Therefore, either parent may prepare an authorizing letter for the other parent to travel abroad with the child in case of emergency.  A local notary public (called an escribano in Argentina) may prepare the autorización de viaje letter.  If this notarized authorization is prepared in the United States, Argentine authorities will require an apostille from the United States in addition to the notarized authorization.  Please see this link for more information about an apostille:  Apostille Requirements (state.gov).