An official website of the United States government

Summer Work & Travel (SWT) and Exchange Programs (J)


Purpose of the Program

Promoting cultural exchange by allowing post-secondary and/or university students to travel to the United States in order to know its people, customs, improve their English and work temporarily during their summer vacation. Official Information of the Work & Travel Program in English

General Requirements

  • This program is only for full-time students enrolled in universities or post-secondary institutions in order to obtain a degree at an accredited educational institution.
  • The period of participation must not exceed four months.
  • Applicants must return before classes start in Argentina.
  • Applicants must prove that they will resume their activities as students after they participate in the Summer Work & Travel Program, provided that it is not the last year of their degree.
  • Students must prove their academic progress to participate.
  • Students must be sufficiently proficient in English to interact in their workplace.

REMARK: Vocational students are not eligible for this program.

Definition of ‘Student’

For the purpose of the Summer Work & Travel Program, the term student means:

A student who has completed their secondary education, is a regular student or enrolled in a university or post-secondary degree at an accredited educational institution. The study method must be in-person and not virtual. CBC (Ciclo Básico Común) students will also be considered regular students.

Some Required Documents:

  • Valid passport, which must cover at least the duration of the program.
  • Form DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Form DS-2019 issued by the designated sponsoring organization in the US. · Payment receipt of the SEVIS fee.
  • Regular student certificate, with no more than 30 days upon the date of the interview and a letter from the University (which will be provided by the local agency or local sponsor).
  • Academic transcript (certificado analítico) of the University (issued and sealed by the institution)
  • Documents that certify your socio-economic situation in Argentina.
  • Reading and understanding the Wilberforce Pamphlet.

Agencies in Argentina in Alphabetical Order

REMARK: This list is for informational purposes only. The US Embassy in Argentina does not represent or sponsor any of these particular agencies.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Summer Work & Travel Program

What do start and end dates mean in my DS-2019?

The start and end dates indicate when you should start working and when you should finish. You may start working at the beginning of the program or after its starting date, but you must finish your work by the end date. If you work beyond the end date, you will not participate in the program in the future.

How much time before the start date of the program can I enter the United States?

You may enter the United States up to 30 days before your program starts. However, you cannot start working before the start date of the program. Please remember that your participation in the program cannot prevent you from attending class or taking previously agreed exams. If you miss class due to your

participation in the program, you will be seriously jeopardizing your opportunity to participate in the program in the future.

How much time after the end date am I allowed to stay in the United States?

This program allows you to return to your country of residence not after 1st April. Other programs under J1 visas offer other dates and return periods. The SW&T Program in Argentina offers this date as reference for future applications. People staying in the United States after that date are risking having their future visas rejected. If you leave the United States during the program, you are not allowed to return with your J1 visa despite being valid, because you will no longer be participating in the program. You should consider that returning home in time to start your classes is your responsibility, irrespective of the date in which the program ends.

Can I change job while I am in the United States?

Please ask and contact your sponsoring agency before making any changes in your job. If you change your job without the authorization from your sponsoring agency, your status as program participant may be cancelled. If your program is cancelled, you must leave the United States immediately.

Can I have more than one job in the United States?

The exchange program regulations do not specifically cover this situation. However, you should ask your sponsor before accepting any additional job.

What happens if I have a complaint about the sponsoring agency or my employer in the United States? You may register your complaints with the Department of State by sending an email to jvisas@state.go and should you have any emergency, there is a specific line you can contact. To find more information, please visit this website.

The sponsoring organization in the United States is primarily responsible for your program. If you have any complaint about your employer, you must contact your sponsor before you contact anyone else to request assistance. You may find your sponsor’s contact information in the 2nd box of the DS-2019 form.

What happens if I have difficulty in finding a job once I arrive in the United States, or have doubts about the employment conditions?

If you have any questions, you have difficulty in finding a job, or have doubts about the employment conditions, you must contact your sponsor in the United States and your local agency in Argentina. You may also contact the Department of State by writing to jvisas@state.gov


J Visas – Exchange Visitor All the Official Information on Exchange Visitor J Visas

This Visa category is designed for applicants planning to participate in programs approved by the US Department of State to teach, study, research, demonstrate special skills or receive training, or to participate in a program to receive graduate medical education.

This category also includes programs approved by the US Department of State to place people into firms, institutions and other agencies and for on-the-job practical training in specialized fields for periods not exceeding 18 months.

Participation in language learning programs and seminars, workshops or short-term courses directly related to the internships may also be admitted. The J visa also enables visitors to travel for observations connected to internships, training in techniques and methodologies in a certain area, colleagues contact, promoting cross-cultural contacts between workers, professionals, researchers and students in the general interest of international exchange. This may include camp counselor, seasonal work such as at ski resorts and summer camps or as Au Pairs.

Before applying for a visa, you must have been accepted into an approved program. Evidence of your acceptance is the form DS-2019, sent directly to the applicant by the program sponsor. Additionally, students must be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Your school or program must register students in SEVIS and students must pay for this registration.

Once accepted, the applicant must follow the steps of the regular visa application process and have the documents to apply for the appropriate visa.

Residency Rules

Many programs under the J-category are supported partially or wholly by government agencies. If they are, or if the applicants are to receive graduate medical education or training regardless of source of finances, a condition for accepting a J-visa prohibits J-visa beneficiaries from applying for immigration and for certain work visas (H and L-visas) until the applicants have resided and been physically present in their own country of nationality or last residence for at least two years. This condition may also apply if the area of study or research is included in a skills list agreed to by the US Department of State and the applicant’s government. Before accepting a J-visa, you should inquire if this condition applies. For those wishing to participate in medical programs, there may be additional requirements. You can ask about these requirements by writing to Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)

Instructions for Applicants of J-1 Visa with Programs Starting with G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7

If you are planning to travel to the United States on a J-1 visa under a program sponsored by the United States Government and the program number in your DS-2019 starts with G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7, you must carry out a procedure that is different from a regular visa, since you do not have to pay the SEVIS or visa fees.

  • Once you obtain the DS-2019 and verify that the program number starts with G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7, you will have to complete the DS-160 online visa application form and print the confirmation sheet with the barcode.
  • After completing the first step, you must go to the Consulate located in Avenida Colombia 4300, 1st counter, from Monday to Friday from 9 to 11 hrs (except Argentine and US holidays and administrative days). This kind of programs sponsored by the Department of State does NOT require registration in the Visa Information Service System, or payment of the visa and SEVIS registration fees. You must only present your valid passport, the DS-160 confirmation sheet, DS-2019 and a 5×5 cm front picture with white background.
  • If your visa is approved, the consular officer will indicate how to collect your passport with the visa.