The Youth Ambassadors Program, an initiative of the U.S. Embassy, in partnership with the organization World Learning, is designed to send outstanding Argentine secondary school students from all over the country to the United States for three weeks to learn about U.S. society and culture and to share Argentina’s culture with people in the United States. Through this exchange program, the Youth Ambassadors will strengthen ties of friendship, improve their English, and also acquire new ideas for community service.
In a three week cultural exchange and leadership program that also focuses on youth citizen diplomacy and service and volunteerism, the Youth Ambassadors program offers students new international opportunities and experiences to broaden their knowledge of U.S. culture, society, and education. The participants and U.S. audiences will increase the mutual understanding among peoples of the Americas. The Youth Ambassadors program will not only provide new knowledge and experience for participants, but also prepare them for a lifetime of leadership and community service.
Student applicants should…..
- Be at least 15 years old and not more than 17 years old at the time of the exchange;
- Have the ability to speak in English (students will engage in home-stays with host families that do not speak Spanish);
- Attend public high school or a subsidized private school;
- Not have traveled previously to the U.S.; and
- Have permission from parents or legal guardians to participate in the three-week program in the United States.
Adult mentor applicants must…
- be citizens and have current residency in Argentina (applicants with dual U.S. citizenship will not be considered);
- be active in working with teenagers in either a high school or community setting;
- Minimum age: 27 years old
- be willing to spend three weeks in the United States living with Argentine and Chilean teens;
- be willing and able to meet periodically with selected students from their city/region, to support and monitor their follow-up work;
- be proficient in English; and
- have traveled abroad in the past.
The program will cover all expenses related to the program.